RogueKiller (Free Version)
RogueKiller is an anti-malware program written in C++ and able to detect and remove generic malwares and some advanced threats such as rootkits, rogues, worms, etc.
Note: The free version of RogueKiller only includes:
RogueKiller is a free anti-malware program that can help advanced users remove malicious programs and processes. The application, which is written in C++, is used to remove rootkits and rogue security software such as ZeroAccess among other advanced threats. However, its new graphic user interface makes it suitable for new users who rely on its basic functions. It is a small portable application that you can save in and run from a flash drive.How RogueKiller Works
The free anti-malware program uses different methods to detect malware, including:
- Signature finding or classic anti-malware analysis
- Heuristics that involves studying the way malware behaves
- Undocumented hacks
What RogueKiller Does
- Remove malware
- Stop malicious services
- Find and kill malicious processes, including hidden ones
- Unload malicious DLLs from processes
- Remove malicious autostart entries
- Remove registry hijacks
- Fix Proxy, Hosts and DNS hijacks
- Fix malicious Master Boot Record (MBR)
- Find and restore system files that rootkit has faked or patched
- Restore hidden files and shortcuts
We downloaded and saved the executable file on a flash drive. The free anti-malware program started a pre-scan as soon as we launched it and then gave us the option to accept or reject the license agreement before proceeding. Pre-scanning helps to stop any suspicious processes.
Buttons for selecting desired actions are on the left part of the screen. Hovering over a button displays details about what it does, which is especially ideal for new users. Below the buttons are check boxes for enabling or disabling MBR scan, anti-rootkit and verification of fake items. The main part of the screen is divided into two with the upper portion displaying status and lower one displaying areas to be scanned.
Once we selected an action, the program ran another scan after completing the action for verification.
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to remove rootkits
- Helps to free some memory by terminating processes
- Uses low RAM and CPU
- Multi-language support
- Interpreting results requires advanced knowledge
- Can sometimes mark innocent things as suspicious
- Sometimes crashes or stops suddenly, requiring a re-start
Although you can use RogueKiller to remove malware, you must exercise caution and use common sense or you may create havoc in your Windows registry by deleting critical entries. Please understand that the application does not replace your antivirus program. Instead, it can help your antivirus remove stubborn viruses by terminating their processes to clear the path, as it were.